Monday, June 27, 2011

My Un-Cool Church Part 6: Communion

bread and wine #1photo © 2008 kevin rawlings | more info (via: Wylio)


Some of my most cherished memories at my church have come during communion services.  Pastor Brian is always trying to bring something to this special service to make it meaningful and unique.  He often asks Bev or Tammy to use drama to bring the symbolic meaning of the service into focus.

The deacons stand at the front, one with the cup, one with bread.  I sit on the front row so I get to step forward first.  Pam, this is Jesus’ body that was broken for you.”  I tear off a piece and step toward the other deacon holding the cup.  Pam, this is Jesus’ blood that was shed for you.”  They say my name, and it’s personal.  Jesus died for me.

I return to my seat and the others file by… people who have been in my Sunday School class, kids I’ve had in AWANA and Kids Club, my First Place buddies, choir members.  They file by and I recognize them for what they are… my family.  I love them; I would do anything for them.  They are so dear.

They are my un-cool church.  

No comments:

Post a Comment