Monday, June 20, 2011

My Un-Cool Church Part 1



A friend whose blog I follow posted this entry last week, Blessed are the Un-Cool.  She had many responses telling about their un-cool churches.  Later she invited readers to tell about their churches in a short response or as much detail as they liked.  I’ve decided to respond to this on my blog this week.

I grew up in an independent church in Indianapolis.  Our leader, Pastor Felber, was a great Bible teacher, and I’m very thankful for the things I learned under his leadership.   We had a great youth group, and we often had over 100 kids in attendance to many of our activities.  I loved my church very much.

When I got married and moved to Dunlap, Phil and I joined Ewtonville Baptist Church.  It was Southern Baptist, which was frowned upon by the crowd I had been around.  We chose Ewtonville for a couple of reasons.  We were used to big churches, and it was the biggest one in town.  We also chose it because it was nearby.  Even though I knew we could find a better church to attend if we went to Chattanooga, I knew that to serve in a church it needed to be where you live, work and play, so that you can build community.

It took me a long time to love Ewtonville as much as I loved my church in Indiana.  I struggled with that for many years.  But I remember a Sunday when we were giving testimonies, and I was able to stand up and tell my church family how I had finally come to love them better than my old church.  It was a great day.

I’ve been a member for around 30 years now, and I’ve come to this conclusion.  Even though I had better Bible teaching in the church I grew up in, Ewtonville is a better church because it is more balanced (even though that certainly hasn’t always been true), and because it shows great love.

More details later.

No comments:

Post a Comment