Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Critic's Corner

Even though we’re in remote Canada, Phil & I have had access to some different types of media. We’ve been passing some of our down time by watching some movies and reading some books. I’ve already posted from What Difference Do It Make?, so I won’t elaborate on that further (although I highly recommend both the books by those authors).



I downloaded some podcasts by Andy Stanley, whose teaching I love. The series I listened to was geared to single people. Any of you single people out there need to listen to this series. He has lots of good instruction, and he doesn’t pull any punches. Burn it to a CD for someone you love.

We had 4 Netflix movies, so I brought them along…



Star Trek was good entertainment. I loved the original series, and enjoyed this because of that connection. Phil…not so much.



The Social Network was a good movie. I liked learning more about the creation of Facebook since I’m on it all the time. I know Mark Zuckerberg went to see this movie about himself. Since it portrays him in such a bad light, I can’t imagine how that must have felt. I know that a lot of this movie is probably not accurate.



Both our kids liked Inception and thought we would too. What were they thinking?!! We endured Inception. In fact, we couldn’t watch the whole thing in one sitting, even though we were determined to finish it. The cinematography was amazing, but this story did nothing for us.

The fourth movie is Taken but we haven’t watched it yet.



Phil and I love history, so I brought along Ken Burns' film about Lewis and Clark. Beautiful photography and wonderful music bring this amazing journey to life. Highly recommend it!



I read North or Be Eaten by Andrew Petersen. Andrew is one of my favorite singer/songwriters. This book is the second in a series call the Wingfeather Saga. They are written in the same style as Chronicles of Narnia with strong Christian overtones. The book is exciting and inspiring, and I enjoyed it very much. It is written for children ages 9-12, so if you have one of those, check it out. This is a rare fiction read for me, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I need to get Book 3.

[The English teacher in me wanted to italicize all the titles, but it was just too much trouble.]

No comments:

Post a Comment