Sunday, May 29, 2011

News From Canada Part 1


I am sitting here in the Loon's Nest watching the sunset. It has been a gorgeous day here...70 degrees, beautiful blue skies. The lake is smooth as glass tonight, and all the reflections are perfect. I can hear a loon calling. Bats have nested in the front wall of the cabin, and I can hear them squeaking. In a few minutes, when it gets a little darker they will start pouring out of the hole, to gobble up the mosquitoes buzzing around. As long as the bats don't make their way inside, I've determined to not freak out about them.

Yesterday we had a crew from the churches in town come in to spring clean the kitchen and lodge. When they clean, they clean. They start with the ceilings and work their way down until every shelf, every pot, every pan, every window has been done. It was a big job, but lots of help made it go faster.

A lady named Angela came to help. She has cerebral palsy. She can't do a lot, but she worked all day ironing the curtains for all the cabins. It has not always been easy for me to talk to people like her; I am out of my comfort zone. But today at church, she latched on to me. I was so thankful that she wanted to. I guess I'm making progress.

She was so funny. She brought her own record player and a collection of vinyl. We listened to everything from Merle Haggard to Ronnie Millsaps to Buffy St. Marie Vol. You can check out one of her songs on my FB page. It was quite interesting. : )

1 comment:

  1. Bats are a very good thing to have around. I haven't seen ours this year. I wonder if the tornado transplanted them?
    Awesome about the work crews coming in to help! What a blessing. And I am so impressed with your new friend with Cerebral Palsy. And I am proud of you for stretching!

    ReplyDelete