Friday, May 20, 2011

Burdens

A single tearphoto © 2008 Lisa H | more info (via: Wylio)


Last week I wrote about conversations I was having with several different friends. Most of those conversations were positive and cheerful. This week has been different, and I feel burdened for several of my friends.

This week I sat with a friend who has Alzheimer's disease, and she is only in her 50's. Her husband is looking for someone to sit with her during the day. He is her caregiver and the job is getting increasingly difficult.

I have a couple of friends that are dealing with the devastating effects of cancer. This disease is wreaking havoc in their lives because they have loved ones who are seriously ill. Their emotions are up and down, as you might expect.

Divorce continues to rear its ugly head in the lives of those I care about. Today another friend told me about getting a divorce.

I prayed with a teenager who was in tears because her family is under an unbearable amount of stress.

I prayed with a young boy who was trying to choose holiness over worldliness. (What a blessing it was!)

The world is broken. Sin is rampant. It's effects are everywhere. So we are urged to "carry each other's burdens, and in this way you fulfill the law of Christ."

"Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day's out. Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ's law. If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived."

I've been trying to live these verses this week. But bearing burdens is messy and heartbreaking...

Yet I serve a God who is in control and promises to use all these trials for our good. So thankful for that hope.

1 comment: