Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dorothy Kiper




My mother-in-law, Dorothy Kiper, passed away today. She had been afflicted with Alzheimer's disease since about 1999. They call Alzheimer's "the long goodbye" for good reason. Dorothy left us long ago. Today she became her true self once again.

Dorothy was a wonderful mother, mother-in-law, and grandmother. She gave good advice but did not force it upon you. She loved spending time with all her grandchildren, and although she lived very far away, she made the time we spent with her special and something to look forward to. She was witty, sarcastic at times, and very funny. Her writing reminded me of Erma Bombeck (if you're old enough to know who that is).

She worked in Sunday School and in AWANA Cubbies for many years. She loved being with little kids.

She had been married to Roger for over 60 years. They were very devoted to each other.

Will posted this sweet status on FB: "The world lost an amazing woman this morning in my grandmother, Dorothy Kiper. She has struggled with Alzheimer's disease for almost as long as I've been alive and it's a relief to know that she's not sick anymore. I'm sad that I didn't know her better but happy that I will someday."

I am thankful to be able to pay tribute to her here. She was a wonderful person, and I will miss her.


This is one of my favorite pictures of Dorothy with Kathryn. Kathryn's expression shows how much fun her grandma was.


One time when we visited she pitched a tent in the backyard.


Grandma & Grandpa on a visit to our house on Ewton St.


Many times we went with Grandma & Grandpa to visit Lincoln sites in Illinois.


Our family on a visit to Illinois for Christmas.


Grandma & Grandpa visiting the TN Aquarium with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment