Saturday, April 6, 2019

What If...


Today's poem is inspired by this tea towel I bought last year.

If I could be more daring,
Bold and unafraid,
What things would I accomplish?
What things would I evade?

Would I wrestle an alligator?
Would I face a bear?
Would I hunt a tiger?
Would I enter its lair?

Would I climb a mountain?
Would I take a dive
From the highest cliff
To show I could survive?

Would I challenge a giant?
Would I face a foe?
Would I walk on water
Though the fierce winds blow?

Would I build a castle?
Would I chase a dream?
What would I imagine?
What would I scheme?

Would I love more fiercely?
Would I let it show?
What places would I visit?
Where would I go?

How would I spend a day?
What would I buy?
What would I give away?
How would I die?

Today’s prompt:  write a poem that emphasizes the power of “if,” of the woulds and coulds and shoulds of the world. Focus not on what has happened, or what will happen, but on what might happen if the conditions are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment