Saturday, April 13, 2019

Burning Bush





I saw a bush in the distance,
Burning, but not consumed.
How can this be?
Impossible,
A sight beyond belief.
Its leaves were green and supple,
Not seared, or edged with black.
Though smoke arose, 
No ashes fell,
No branches full afire.
So I drew near with wary eye
and curiosity,
To get a better vantage of
This strange oddity.
It filled me with such wonder,
Some fear of danger too.
But at its center I could sense
God’s presence,
Hear His voice.
And now I knew
All I could do
Was worship and obey.

Lord, let me be a burning bush
To others on the way.
Let the Holy Spirit be
The flame that’s plain to see.
Burning,
But not consumed,
A puzzle in this world,
A cause of awe and wonder
At what you can do through me.

Today's prompt:  write a poem about something spooky.  I spent the morning at the Chattanooga House of Prayer and one of the exercises had me studying a stained glass picture of the burning bush.  It occurred to me that if I actually saw a burning bush that would be pretty spooky.




1 comment: