Saturday, April 20, 2019

Northern Lights




I’m not always lively,
The sun must awaken me
With charges
Sent across the void
To tickle my electrons.
When they settle down again--         
A flash!
A photon is released,
And then you see my full glory.
The light streams through the atmosphere
Bending at my will to reveal
Striking colors that flow.

Sometimes I let my halo show
Other times I twirl the hem
Of my star-spangled robe,
And it flutters to and fro.
Most often I’ve a pale green hue,
But sometimes the rainbow emerges.
On occasion I can be so bold
As to fill the entire sky;
And then there are times when I am shy,
Barely peeking above the horizon.
At times I can be so full of joy
That I pulse frenetically,
So exuberant.
But my favorite nights are the times 
When the air is very still.
The waters yield a perfect reflection,
And I dance with myself
Into the night.

Today's prompt:  Write a poem from a different perspective.  You can find the video that inspired my descriptions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment