Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Out of the Doldrums

The word "doldrums" is a nautical term describing an area near the equator in which the weather can be unpredictable but is often noted for calm periods when the winds disappear altogether, trapping sail-powered boats for periods of days or weeks.  Thus, we often describe periods of stagnation or inactivity in our lives as being in the doldrums.

When Phil and I returned home to Tennessee after spending the summer at Camp of the Woods, we found ourselves in the doldrums.  After enjoying the mild climate of the Canadian summer, the heat was oppressive.  Any time we stepped outdoors and exerted ourselves in the least we found ourselves dripping with sweat.  The cool air-conditioning held us inside our house like prisoners.  We became less and less interested in doing anything in that heat.

Phil spends a lot of his time in the basement turning bowls and working on other projects.  The basement is cool most of the time, but the humidity is what gets you.  So he still sweats, and then on top of that he's covered in dust.  Oh, it's not a pretty sight!

For the past few years we have come home and then returned to Canada for some leisure time around the middle of September.  That also leads to the doldrums in another way.  It is hard to start many activities when you know you'll be leaving in a few short weeks, so you wait.  You mark time.

Some people have asked why we come home at all.  It's a valid question.  It's mostly my doing because I think Phil would be happy to stay.  But we both miss our kids and our dear Madeline.  My parents are there, and I miss them too and feel the need to check up on them.  It's all good stuff.

But it's not all inactivity.

I spent a lot of time raising money and support for Feed My Starving Children.  It was great visiting different churches and connecting with my friends in each one.  I was thankful to have Melissa Tibbs along with me on some of these occasions as she was willing to share some of her insights from our trip to Haiti.

I have become involved with Green Steps and am volunteering to monitor one of the stations that have been set up in the county.  Look for them around town.


I spent a Saturday morning floating the river and picking up trash with Simone Madsen and others. I made some new friends.


G was my partner for the day.


And of course, there was Madeline...

Catching tadpoles with Pop
Playing dress up

But now we are out of the doldrums and back in Canada.  More on that later.








No comments:

Post a Comment