Tuesday, September 25, 2018

My Friend Cathy






I lost another friend to cancer today.  This has been a hard season, four friends in less than six months.  Phil and I had gotten word that Cathy was in the hospital over the weekend so we knew the end of her life was imminent.  On Saturday I wrote this poem.


I am in the kitchen chopping carrots,

            And Cathy lies in a bed dying.

I picture her in her own kitchen flitting
            From oven
            To sink
            To refrigerator
Like a butterfly flitting among flowers in her garden.
She moves with such ease,
Cutting up apples and cheese,
Artfully arranging them on a clean white plate.
From the oven she pulls a peach pie,
One that she had baked when the peaches were fresh,
Put in the freezer until the right occasion arose,
And we are the felicitous recipients of her hospitality.

I am in the kitchen cutting up celery,

            And Cathy lies in a bed dying.

I see her smile as she lounges with us on her patio.
She is the consummate hostess—
            Always welcoming
            Always comfortable
            Always making time
She pets her beloved dog Coco and laughs at the stories we share
Of friendships past and present
Of times gone by but still held dear.

I am in the kitchen chopping onions,
            
            And Cathy lies in a bed dying.

The onions work on me, and stinging tears come.
But they are mixed with tears of sorrow for my sweet friend
Who I will miss so much.



Cathy was a friend of Phil's from high school days.  As members of the Calvary Baptist youth group, Phil and Cathy had both made the trip to Camp of the Woods, and so she was very interested and supportive when we started spending our summers there.  Cathy and John's house became a way station for us on our trips back and forth to Canada.  We enjoyed many delicious meals, comfortable nights' rest and great conversations at their house. 


I have been thinking a lot about my friends who have passed away and those they have left behind.  I can only imagine that it feels like you have had a hole blown in your life.  My prayers are with John today and with my others friends who must learn to live on the other side of their loss.








No comments:

Post a Comment