Thursday, August 13, 2015

Why I'm Leaving My Church


I was sitting in the Wednesday night prayer service the week before we left for Canada.  Brother Brian went to his son Daniel’s baccalaureate service at the high school, and Greg Land was speaking.
 
As he began to talk he said, “Brian asked me if I would preach for him tonight.  I told him, ‘I’m no preacher but I can speak.’”
 
At that moment the thought that had been working its way to the surface over the past two years finally became clear.  That thought was “I’ll never be asked to speak like this in my church.”

That’s when I knew I had to go.

It’s been a long journey, not a snap decision.  I’ve been debating the idea that women need to be allowed into leadership roles in the church with friends and family over the past two years.  I’ve spoken to my pastor on several occasions.  I have shared my thoughts with the women in my Sunday School class, who are so dear to me.  I even presented the idea to the deacons at our church.

In the end, few minds have been changed about the role of women in my church.  But mine has been completely changed.  And so I find myself with no other alternative than to go.

After having a final talk with Brother Brian, we both agreed that it was for the best.  He said he had seen many people leave churches for the wrong reasons, but he felt that my decision to leave was valid.  I assured him that I was not hurt or angry or upset.  I just know there is a better place for me out there somewhere.

I’m saying goodbye to a church that has been a part of my life for more than 35 years.  The people there are like family.  Yet, I have great peace about it.  I know it’s the right decision and the right time.

No comments:

Post a Comment