Friday, August 7, 2015

Our Youngest Volunteers


Earlier this summer I wrote a post called “What Makes COTW Different.”  There’s something else that I find pretty unique about Camp of the Woods ministry.  It’s the fact that whole families can serve here, and even the youngest members of the family can make a great contribution to the work that must be done here during camp weeks.

This summer I’ve watched several families come, some local Canadians and others from the states, and we’ve put them all to work.  They have filled in the gaps when our summer staff was short.  Here are some of them at work.

Ethan (age 13) swept, vacuumed, mopped, cleaned wash houses
and worked in the kitchen. 

Luke (age 12) took out trash and is training to be a life guard when he
is old enough.  He did many of his jobs with Ethan.

Gracie (age 10) did a lot of work in the kitchen the week her whole
family came to help.

Andrew cleaned with the other boys and, along with
his dad, helped with canoes at the afternoon swim time.

Megan's whole family has come to help many times.
She did lots of work in the kitchen.

This whole crew did the dishes for one of the meals.  Some of
the older ones (age 15 and up) also served as team captains.

Jonathan took care of slop buckets.
He is our "Adam-in-training."

Leah (15) was a team captain and my able assistant
at the archaeological dig.

Payton (15) had many talents and worked in many different
roles, including acting in skits. 

The Reimger family worked with us for 4 weeks this summer.
What a blessing they all are!

Gavin (11) helped his dad replace some of the landscaping logs we
have near the chapel.

Serena (11) was an outstanding scorekeeper.

Gabriel (12) cleaned up in the lodge and that includes windows.

One of Jaren's (12) duties included snake wrangling.

These three, Evan, Emma and Aubrey, did so many jobs I can't
name them all.  This week they were my table setting crew.
They are great help!

I especially want to thank Alex, who assisted me all summer in watering the flowers.  Being outdoors is not one of his favorite things, and the bugs drive him crazy.  He faithfully watered every other day and kept everything alive and beautiful.  He only complained when it got really hot and he had to start watering some of the areas every day.  It was quite a step for him to take on this responsibility, and I am so proud of him.

My able assistant
I want to encourage some of my friends who would like to find a place for your whole family to serve together to get in touch with me.  We are always looking for those who will come along side us and work in a ministry that I think you will love.

No comments:

Post a Comment