Sunday, January 29, 2012

Significance

On Friday morning we gathered to have our Friday Friends Bible study and fellowship.  This is a group of women of all ages coming together to learn from each other how to live the Christian life together.  I can’t tell you what this group has come to mean to me.  Everyone there has genuine care and concern for the others in the group.  The support that I’ve received from this group has made some heavy burdens feel a lot lighter.


In our study we are learning how to meditate on scripture.  I am so excited about this because I know this is a practice I need to engage in more often.  Although I am faithful to my daily Bible reading, that does not mean that I am meditating on the scriptures.  This week we studied verses that had to do with feeling forgotten, feeling like you’re not appreciated, feeling as if you don’t matter.
It all boils down to the need we have to feel significant in this world

We all desire it to some extent.  God has put it in our hearts.  That’s why we have to seek it His way, and that means seeking it through becoming a part of His story.  His story revolves around redeeming people and being a part of His kingdom work here on Earth.  The more involved with His story we are, the more significance our own story has.

There are several stay-at-home moms in our group, and they voiced their feelings.  “Is what I do enough?  Should I be doing more?”  There’s no magic formula for how much is enough.  It’s a part of our personal work to know what God expects from each of us individually.

We dug into the paradox between Jesus charge, “Don’t  do your good deeds publicly, to be admired by others,” to his command a few verses earlier, “Let your light shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”  Obviously, it’s all about who gets the glory.
The verses we studied led me to a lot of thought-provoking questions:
            What things have I said and done am I looking forward to being revealed?
What things do I wish would remain hidden? How can I eradicate these things?
How can I be constantly aware that what I do for Christ is not in vain, even when I see no
evidence that what I do matters?

Good thoughts, good food, good friends.  What a blessing to be able to “work out our salvation” together!

No comments:

Post a Comment