Wednesday, September 16, 2009

He confronted the religious

The third group of people Jesus came in contact with in Mark 2 were the religious. They were upset, as usual, because Jesus was doing things on the Sabbath that they thought were against the Law. I've often thought how great it would have been to live when Jesus was around and to have met Him. But lately I've been thinking that I might have been one of those religious people who thought Jesus was wrong. I can imagine myself saying,"He can't be the Messiah. The Messiah would not be breaking the Law." I admit it. I'm a goody-goody. I like following the rules, and I like it when other people do too. I'm guessing it's a teacher thing.



Of course, Jesus taught a new way to think. The Law is a good thing, a good tool. It was designed to give us a good life. The Sabbath was intended to be a blessing and give us rest. But if we let the Law, it will bind us, strangle us. And God didn't intend that.


Which is why Jesus was always so very upset and angry with the religious leaders of the time. They didn't get it.

I don't want to be like them. I'm thankful God continues to work on me. To change my thinking. To make me see that I need to be more loving and less judging. More flexible and less rigid.

No comments:

Post a Comment