Monday, April 20, 2020

Saved From Oblivion

Today's prompt was to write a poem about a handmade item.  This poem is about a canoe my friend Shauna carved for me.  It was meant to be put in the Sequatchie River to take a journey, but he was too cute to part with.  I used to do a unit inspired by book Paddle to the Sea by Holling C. Holling.





Saved From Oblivion

The boy sits in his canoe,
hands poised to hold his fishing pole,
his round face and bright eyes
turned up to see the world
passing by his little boat.
Supplies are packed all around him,
kept dry by waterproof coverings.
He is prepared for his long journey,
his paddle to the sea,
a trip he never made because
I couldn’t part with him,
too dear a gift to send away
out into the unknown.
I saved him from destruction,
even oblivion,
but then,
he didn’t get to see the wide world,
and for that I am sorry.



No comments:

Post a Comment