Saturday, July 6, 2019

Update: Teen Week 1


Teen Week 1 is in the books and it was a great success.  The group of 40 we had this week was all returning campers except for four new ones.  Many of the campers this week have been coming every summer since they were eight years old.  It is good to see so many familiar faces and work with kids who just love camp.

I took the kids on hikes each day and told the Bible stories.  I focused on Peter.  I talked about what it was like for Peter to follow Jesus and how that looks for us today.  I was happy with how it all came out.  Now to look into what things I might add or change since we have several campers returning for a second week with us.

I was also the game leader this week and worked with Mallory and Kelly during each game time.  They were great help and made my job much easier.  Mallory took this lead on several games, and Kelly is one of those people who just quietly go about getting the job done behind the scenes. 

Keeping score with Mallory (sorry I didn't get Kelly in the pic)
My favorite game this week was one created by Isaac, one of the interns here this summer.  It was called Telescope.  After racing to retrieve pool noodles without being tagged, teams used them to build telescopes.  I was so impressed with their creations.





Lots of good relationships were strengthened with the returning campers.  Some of them are going through some tough stuff.  The teen age years are often hard, and the cabin leaders did a great job listening and empathizing with the campers.

One of my most enjoyable tasks of the week was performing skits in the chapel with Bekah, another intern.  We got a lot of laughs.

This is not the skit but it gives you a little glimpse of some of the chapel decorations.
They are really wonderful.

Prayer requests:  Please pray for the returning campers, that God can continue to work in their lives. Pray for me as I try to develop some different lessons to add to their learning.  We have several individuals and groups traveling in and out this weekend so we pray for their safety.

Also, pray for my mom.  The cancer in her nose is too extensive to treat in Chattanooga.  She will have to travel to Emery in Atlanta.  I don't know when yet, or what that might mean that I need to do.  Pray for her healing and for wisdom for all of us in the decisions we have to make in this situation.






No comments:

Post a Comment