Monday, May 27, 2019

My First Prom

 
What a great group of kids!

Saturday night the youth at our church hosted a “Senior Prom.”  Anyone over sixty was invited to come with or without a date to enjoy an evening of music, dancing and fun.  The kids spent Friday afternoon preparing food and decorating the gym.  Saturday evening came and the crowd slowly trickled in (when it’s seniors, that’s the pace for most things...a slow trickle).  Over the course of the evening between fifty and sixty people came.

This prom was a beautiful thing in so many ways.  The young people put a lot of time and effort into serving the older population of our church.  They were thoughtful in their plans to make it enjoyable for everyone, whatever their physical limitations might be.  The seniors supported the youth by coming out, and participating in this unusual event. This setting became a great place for the two generations to find some common ground, and have some fun together. It was amazing!
Slow dancing

Anna Kate and Ed

Ontario and Betty
(That Betty is a dancer!)

The dance floor was full.

Us girls dancing together



Libby and Howard



The band was fantastic and played a great mixture of music from the fifties and sixties.  There were songs for rocking out and songs for slow dancing, and people did a good bit of both.  It was surprising to see who the ones who loved dancing were; they were up for almost every song.  Some who had limited mobility were accommodated and were able to enjoy it as well.

Chris, Charlotte, Sonny, and our drummer

Keith, as Elvis, danced with just about everyone.
He was a lot of fun!
There was the election of a prom king and queen.

Dot and Howard Hatcher
 There was a then and now game, matching pictures of people from their younger days, which I won (a $25 gift card to the Cookie Jar… good for me!)



Collecting my prize from Cindy

 Now I have to confess that I didn’t want to go for several reasons. 
1. I never went to a prom.  I grew up in a “Footloose” kind of culture where we didn’t dance, and our church put on a banquet for us instead of a prom.  Let me add that not learning to dance is one of my regrets in life.  There is such an expression of joy in music and dance that I really feel like I missed out. Although I’ve danced a lot with kids, especially at camp, I felt pretty insecure about dancing with my peers.
2. I was a little disgruntled that I was old enough to attend (just keepin’ it real here).
3. I wasn’t sure about what to wear. 
4. I thought the idea of having a prom for us was just weird.
5. If Phil had been around I would have used him as an excuse not to go.

Fred putting me at ease

So in saying all this, it’s funny that this event dredged up a lot of the same feelings teenagers have when getting ready to go to the prom.  It was true for me and for other too.

But I’m so glad I went. And I am so thankful for the kids who put this all together and for their fearless leaders, Cindy and Hank, who went above and beyond to make this happen.  I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment