Friday, June 5, 2015

On Local Art and My Small Place in the World





Recently I read a blog post by Amanda Opelt, a musician from Boone, NC.  Here’s some of what she had to say:


But I want to encourage my fellow songwriters out there to write purposefully for yourself and for your own community.  Don't let fear of the global competition or your own demands for perfection intimidate you into silence.  There are countless songs yet to be written and consumed, even if those songs are just consumed at the local level.  Or even if it's just your own spirit's cry to the Holy Spirit, a sacrament of song, and an audience of One.  This too is grace and beauty. 

I don't think that means we only release our art to our close family and friends, or only consume local art.  I'm grateful that there are people in other parts of the world who have enjoyed (and bought!) my music.  I guess what I'm saying is: I don't want the global competition to intimidate me or make me reticent.  I don't want to feel like I have to be as good as the next genius coming out of New York or LA to feel like I'm adding value to the world and my community by sharing my art.


These words really captured my heart because it made me think about what I do here on this blog.  I write for a very small audience.  That audience includes my hometown friends mostly, but also includes friends and family across the country and around the world, which I find most amazing.  What a thought to be able to be heard by such an eclectic audience! 


Most of my posts are only seen by thirty or forty people, although some entries have had nearly 200 views.  I know that what I do is small, but that doesn’t make it unimportant.  I like writing these words and putting them out there for whoever may happen upon them.  I know that my thoughts will impact only a few, but still I write because I know that God has given me good thoughts to share, and it makes me happy to do it.

So I want to say thanks to those of you who follow along here.  Thanks for your kind and encouraging words on my behalf.  Thanks for caring about me and my life.

On a final note let me add that Phil and his works of art from turned wood fit into this idea also.  When Phil gets a log from a person he usually gives them a piece he makes from the tree.  Sometimes these mementos are very dear to people when the tree is one that has been in their life for a long time. 

 Local art in its many forms is to be celebrated!



No comments:

Post a Comment