Monday, April 21, 2014

One of my Heroes





This week I watched former president Jimmy Carter on the Colbert Report.  I was so impressed by President Carter's whole interaction with Colbert.  The 89-year-old was fully aware of who Colbert is and the schtick he engages in, and Carter held his own with ease.  President Carter was engaging and funny, and Phil and I thought afterwards that we would enjoy listening to him talk about lots of the issues of the day.

In fact, Jimmy Carter is one of my heroes.  I am not a person who writes fan mail to public figures or celebrities, but recently I sent President Carter the letter that follows (in part).  Although most people think he was not an effective president, he has made the most of his post-presidency years, and leads initiatives around the world that are informed by his Christian beliefs.  You can find out more about the work of the Carter Center here, and the work of The Elders here.

******************************************************************


                                                                        January 19, 2014

Dear President Carter:

            Tonight as I sat in church my pastor spoke from Matthew 5 on the Beatitudes.  He focused on the third statement in this list, “Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth.”   As I thought about meekness, you were the person who came to my mind.  The night before I had just watched the movie Argo, so I had reason to have you on my mind.  But I made the connection because your actions in the Iranian Hostage Crisis were a display of meekness not often seen in a leader who has such power.  My husband and I discussed what an amazing thing it was that you lead us through that crisis without taking us into a war (which puts you in line to come to my mind when the pastor preaches on peacemakers). 

            I was a young college student at the time of this event, and I really did not understand what you were doing.  I was living in the middle of the Christian right culture that seemed to live by the motto, “Might makes right,” even though that isn’t in the Bible.  It is only as I have aged that I have come to see the courage and character it took for you to do what you did...

Finally, I appreciate your work with The Elders.  Thank you for uniting with others to use your experience and influence to make the world a better place.  You are truly an inspiration to me, and I wanted to take this opportunity to tell you so.

*************************************************************

Recently, I received my letter back in the mail with this notation at the bottom:


Phil and I examined it, and it is actually signed by President Carter.  This just bumped him up a few more notches in my book.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment