Monday, March 17, 2014

Road Block: Frozen High or Frozen Low?



If you've ever watched The Amazing Race you know that on each leg of the journey teams are presented with a road block.  At a road block teams are give a choice between two tasks that both have their own pros and cons.  One team member must complete the task before they can receive their next clue.  When I arrived in Denver I asked people here to help me think of an appropriate road block for this leg of my race.  Here are my choices:

Frozen High:  Drive into the Rocky Mountains and spend the afternoon tubing.  Then go to the Elvis theater and watch the movie Frozen.

Frozen Low:  Spend 36 hours on the streets of downtown Denver as a homeless person.

I chose Frozen High.  Duh.


Ray and I tubed at Copper Mountain while Pattie took pictures (she was afraid she might put her back out).  We made several runs down the tracks in the hour we had.  The weather was perfect and we had so much fun.  Every time we went down I screamed the whole way and Ray laughed the whole way.  One of the workers said, "I can tell you're have a good time."

 
 
We drove back down the mountain and took in this movie, in keeping with the theme of the day.
 
*************************************************************
 
I have to add an explanation about Frozen Low.  Ray's pastor heard about coming up with a road block, and it was his idea about the homeless simulation.  They actually run that simulation in the summer with groups that come to a summer missions program they operate.  Frozen Low was just a little more reality that I felt up to.  It's cold out there at night!  When I told his pastor I was opting for Frozen High he said,  "People will always choose comfort over transformation."  I joked with him, "I know this makes you think I'm a wimp... and I'm OK with that."
 
Actually, this road block was pretty tempting to me for two reasons.  It would have made a great story!  And also, it is very much more in keeping with what I have in mind for my Amazing Race.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment