Sunday, February 16, 2014

Snow Days' Reading

All these snow days have been good for getting a lot of reading done.  And I have really been enjoying the books I've selected.  Most of the time I have two or three books going at one time.  Some people can't imagine that, but most of my reading is non-fiction and doesn't have a real plot line to keep up with.  Here's the run-down of my snow day reading list.

I've discovered the writings of Frederick Buechner (pronounced Beekner).  If you do much religious reading you're bound to come across quotes from him.  A couple of years ago Kathryn gave me a book by him and since then I've read several of his works.  I've been reading his memoirs in the two books below, and I have been greatly impressed by his writing.  He describes several people in his life with just the right tone and humor; it made me want to be able to talk about people in my own life in such a way.  He says, "God speaks to you through your life," and then he describes details of moments and words and thoughts from his life and connects them in a meaningful way.  Great writing!



The next book I'm reading is actually a novel by Wendell Berry called Jayber Crow.  Berry is such an interesting person who has strong opinions on many topics, from pacifism to the environment to farming.  I am slow at reading this book because it is on my iPad, and I just don't like reading on a device as much as I like holding a book.  That being said, this is a beautiful story about a man in the small Kentucky town of Port William.  He is the observer of life in his community, and has deep feelings for a girl in his town, but she is a girl he will never have.  I'll have to give more complete information when I finish the book.  Phil really loved this book.



Finally, I'm reading Fearfully and Wonderfully Made by Dr. Paul Brand and Philip Yancey.  Brand was a doctor and a leading authority on leprosy.  He spent most of his life working with lepers in India as a missionary doctor.  Dr. Brand uses his medical background to make profound analogies between the human body and the body of Christ.  He likens the skeleton to the framework of doctrine that we build our faith upon, then later reminds us that, unlike an animal like a crawfish, we have our skeletons on the inside.  The crawfish's exoskeleton protects, but is a cold and hard exterior to present to the world.  Humans have their skeletons encased in skin and muscle that makes us have a soft, warm exterior.  Brand says that when we allow legalism to rule our lives and to be the way we represent ourselves to the world, we may feel protected, but we will be thought of as hard and cold, and may cause others to reject the gospel of Christ.  Very insightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment