Tuesday, October 15, 2013

It's a Small World


As we were driving home from Illinois today we passed a pick-up truck.  It beeped its horn, but I didn't think it was beeping at us, so I ignored it.  As soon as we passed it, Phil said something about the bad driver speeding up after we just passed him and now he's passing us.  As it drew up beside us we could see that the woman in the passenger seat was holding up a sign that said "Dunlap, TN."  I didn't recognize them, but we smiled and waved.  Then I saw her mouth the words "Mrs. Kiper?"  I shook my head yes.  Such a funny meeting on the road.

This reminded me of some other chance encounters I've had over the years.  A few years ago Phil and I were with a group in San Diego.  We were eating lunch in a nice restaurant right on the water when who should be seated at the table right next to us but my cousin Bob and his family from Indianapolis.  I go to Indy often and hardly see him, and here we are basically having lunch together in California.  We couldn't have pulled that off if we had been aware that we were in the same city.

Another memorable meeting came when I was taking Will and Kathryn along with Kathryn's friend, Ashley, to Nashville.  I was taking them to the state capitol for a tour of the building, and as we were looking around a young lady recognized me.  She was from Dunlap (I can't remember who she was now), and she was serving as an intern for someone there.  She gave us a behind the scenes look around the capitol, and Will even got to sit in the Speaker's chair in the assembly hall.  Afterwards, Will said, "Everyone knows you, Mom.  You're like a celebrity."  It's always good to be able to impress your ten-year-old son.

Yes, its' a small world like the song says. I experienced it once again on the road today, and it always makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment