Monday, December 5, 2011

Highlights of Our Trip

I thought I'd share a few highlights from our trip out east.  Phil had meetings in New York for the Teaching American History Grant he works with and I tagged along.  Then we took the train to DC to attend the National Council of Social Studies conference.  The pictures are not in chronological order but it's just too much trouble to change them.

We were able to have dinner and a candlelight tour at Mount Vernon.  Mrs Washington was delightful!

Andrea Boccelli was in concert.  Phil enjoys his music and would have liked to see him but instead he took me to the event of my choice...

Handel's Messiah at the National Cathedral.  I enjoyed it immensely. 

We toured the 9/11 Memorial.  It was a very solemn occasion.

Rockefeller Center was decorated for the holidays.  Beautiful!

We watched skaters and enjoyed wonderful weather.

We saw all our favorites at the Today Show.  We even shook hands with Matt.

I got this close to Michael Buble.  He sang in the studio.  Here he is collecting toys for the toy drive.

At the Museum of Natural History we saw this Christmas tree decorated with origami ornaments.

We saw the big Christmas tree but it was lit the night we left.

We had a good time kicking off the holidays.


At the NCSS this was the most interesting thing I came across.  Kids did history projects that they posted on the internet.  The projects were about local historic sites.  They then created these QR codes to place at the site.  People can scan these codes with their phone to access the kids' stories.  This idea took me in a lot of different directions.  What do you think?

I almost forgot to include the fact that I accidently attended the funeral of a billionaire.  What are the chances!


No comments:

Post a Comment