Saturday, January 15, 2011

Boom Boom Revolution


I have invited all my FaceBook friends to take part in the Boom Boom Revolution. I want to give a further explanation of what this is all about here.

You’ve heard of Random Acts of Kindness. Well, the premise behind Boom Boom Cards is that we should be doing intentional acts of kindness. So each of the cards has a task to be completed, some good deed. Some of the deeds will cost something, but many of them won’t cost a thing. You can choose to do all the tasks or pick the ones that work for you. It won’t matter if you aren’t able to do a particular task on the day it is posted either. Just do it when it works for you. The main idea is to plan to do something.

I’ve been thinking of doing this for a long time. But there are principles behind the reasons for doing these small, simple acts. One of my favorite quotes comes from Helen Keller. She said, “I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.” I love this idea because it works to squelch the pride I battle in my life often.

Another quote comes from President Obama. During his speech for the memorial service for the Arizona victims this week he said that we all need “a continuously widening circle of concern.” It will only widen as we stretch ourselves to reach beyond those we comfortably reach out to regularly.

Hebrews 10:24 says, “Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.” So that’s my goal, to spur you on.

For those of you who have young children, I hope you will involve them and engage them in conversations about the good deeds that are all around us, just waiting for us to have eyes to see. Train them in this kind of thinking.

So, beginning February 1 I will be posting a task each day. If you decide to play along I would love to have you post on the event wall what you do and any thoughts you have about what we’re doing. I’m excited about the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment