Saturday, December 19, 2009

Yoke

One more new idea that came from Rob Bell this week was about the word "yoke."  A rabbi is a Jewish teacher who has disciples that follow and learn from him.  Now every rabbi looks at the scriptures and interprets them in the way that seems right to him.  He teaches his interpretation to his disciples and this is called his yoke.  

Now understanding this opens my eyes to a couple of other scriptures that use the word "yoke." Jesus says, "Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and ye shall find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Mt. 11:28-30.

The rabbis of Jesus day were often reproved by Jesus for their interpretations of the scriptures.  He often said that they made people miserable and burdened them down.  And then Jesus tells us that His yoke is easy.  Now, I think living the way Jesus wants us to live is anything but easy; but compared to what others may burden us with, I know that Jesus' way is easy because it makes leads to peace and rest. 

So I gladly take His yoke upon me and learn of Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment