Tuesday, April 24, 2018

In Memoriam

Prompt: write a poem that is an elegy (eulogy).
When I got this prompt I didn't have any idea how I could make this work until we left the mission partner today. We drove past a cemetery where the founder was buried, so here is my elegy.

We honor your memory today,
Dear Gretchen.
You who left home and comfort
After God radically changed your heart.
You made the remote hills of Haiti your home
And brought the Kingdom of God down
To the people of this village
In the most tangible ways,
And your work continues
Through the lives of your children
And grandchildren.
What a mother you must have been
To inspire your children
To continue your legacy!
I never knew you, Gretchen,
But today I honor you,
And look forward to the day
I will meet you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment