Thursday, August 11, 2016

Woman of Valor: Tammy Colvard




“Eshet chayil—woman of valor— has long been a blessing of praise in the Jewish community. Husbands often sing the line from Proverbs 31 to their wives at Sabbath meals. Women cheer one another on through accomplishments in homemaking, career, education, parenting, and justice by shouting a hearty “eshet chayil!” after each milestone.  Great women of the faith, like Sarah and Ruth and Deborah, are identified as women of valor.”
--Rachel Held Evans

My friend Rachel, who makes her living as a writer and hosts a blog, has a series dedicated to women of valor.  She highlights women she knows, and also had a contest in which other women could write a tribute to a “woman of valor” in their own life.  I have been inspired by these stories and want to share this story as my own reflection on a “woman of valor” who I have come to know.

Tammy Colvard is a long time friend of mine.  I have known her since she was a teenager growing up in our church.  She is a tough competitor, a trait that has served her well in many areas of her life, but one that she would acknowledge hasn't always helped her in her spiritual life and growth. After she became a mom, I watched the dedication and love she always showed to her children.  She has raised them with a strong work ethic and has done a great job of instilling in them the value of serving others.

A few years ago she and Beverly Key started a class at church called First Place.  I was a part of this program for several sessions, and I would say it was one of the most fruitful and transforming times of my life.  It helped me develop some discipline in several areas of my life, and I was the strongest and fittest I had ever been as an adult.

Recently I heard about the testimony Tammy gave at church about her work with the youth.  She has been a rock solid leader in the youth program for many years.  She continues to work by creating events for the youth to participate in and for taking them to camp and other programs that will help them grow spiritually and in other parts of their lives too.

In particular, she told of a group of girls that she has been mentoring over the past year at their request.  These girls were serious about their spiritual life and wanted to do everything they could to be the best Christians they could be.  Tammy has worked with them, led them in Bible studies, and facilitated things that they wanted to do like creating their own "war room" as in the movie by that name.

I am so proud of the woman she is becoming and for the zeal and tenacity that she has for each task she undertakes.  I am glad she is my friend, and I will always be indebted to her for the role she has played in my life.

And so I say to her, "Eschet chayil, Tammy!  You are a woman of valor!"

Tammy (far right) with some of her girls

No comments:

Post a Comment