Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Lifetime Goals



Recently I wrote about Mark Batterson's book, The Circle Maker.  I thought it was a great book, and one of the things I liked best about it was a list of goals he created in different areas of his life.  I took it to heart and came up with my own list.  Neither the Batterson list nor my list is the entire list.  Batterson's list is much longer in every area.  Mine is somewhat shorter mostly because I am older and because many of the goals I might have listed I have already accomplished.  It made me happy to think of all the things I had completed with my kids, so it was a good time of reflection.

Goals are good things to shoot for.  Some of Batterson's are a little out there, but he says you have to have some things that are beyond your reach.

Maybe this list will give you some things to consider.

Family Goals

Batterson
1.  Dedicate my great-grandchildren to the Lord
2.  Coach a sport for each child
3.  Pay for my grandchildren’s college education
4.  Take each child on a mission trip
5.  Create a family foundation
6.  Take each child on a rite of passage pilgrimage
Me
1.  Celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary…and beyond
2.  Take my children and grandchildren on one of the legs of the Amazing Race
3.  Host a family reunion
Influence Goals
Batterson
1.  Write 25+ nonfiction books
2.  Pastor one church for forty+ years
3.  Create a conference for pastors
4.  Build an orphanage in Ethiopia
5.  Make a movie
Me
1.  Have 100+ followers on my blog
2.  Work on a church staff
3.  Start a mentoring group for women in ministry
4.  Run the Amazing Race
5.  Create a scholarship/internship program for students in ministry
Experiential Goals
Batterson
1.  Go on an overnight canoe trip with one of my children
2.  Drive a race car with one of my kids
3.  Take one of my kids to the Superbowl
4.  Spend a night in a treehouse hotel
5.  Learn how to snowboard
Me
1.  Help my grandchildren become lovers of art and theater
2.  Attend a retreat at a monastery
3.  Read the Bible through in 7 different versions
4.  Attend at least one conference each year about something I want to learn more about
5.  Teach my grandchildren to love experiencing big cities
Physical goals
Batterson
1.  Run a 10K with one of my kids
2.  Run a triathlon in my sixties
3.  Bike a century
4.  Dunk a basketball in my forties
5.  Hike the Grand Canyon from rim to rim
Me
1.  Exercise at least 4 times a week for the rest of my life
2.  Let my hair become gray at the appropriate age (to be determined)
Financial Goals
Batterson
1.  Be debt-free by 55
2.  Give back every penny we’ve earned from pastoring our church
3.  Live off 10% and give away 90% by the time we retire
4.  Give away 10+ million dollars
Me
1.  Live debt-free for the rest of my life
2.  Lead my church in a “Be Rich” campaign
3.  Provide support personally for at least 10 summer interns
4.  Give away all money I earn in ministry
5.  Invest in a business that brings jobs to our town
Travel Goals
Batterson
1.  Retrace one of Paul’s missionary journeys
2.  Stay at Old Faithful Inn in Yellowstone National Park
3.  Visit the Biltmore Mansion
4.  See a kangaroo in Australia
5.  Straddle the equator
Me
1.  Run the Amazing Race
2.  Go to Orphanage Emmanuel with Mary Reid

No comments:

Post a Comment