Saturday, June 9, 2012

New Disciplines

I've been trying to take up a couple of long held traditions in the Church over histories that have never been a part of my daily walk.  The first one is the practice of fixed-hour prayer.  This discipline was practiced all the way back to the first century church and has its roots in the traditions of Judaism.  We know that Peter received his vision from God of accepting the new Gentile converts into the church during his noonday prayer time.  I thought it is especially appropriate to be practicing this in light of the fact that I am planning on telling the story of Daniel.  Anyone who knows Daniel's story knows that it was his habit of fixed-hour prayer that landed him in the lion's den.



The tool I have been using for this practice is this book.  I have enjoyed the many psalms and songs that are included that are very familiar to me.  The other thing I have liked is the many things I am praying for now that I never would have thought to pray for before.  There are prayers called compline prayers that are prayers to say right before you go to bed.  The first line is always the same, "May the Lord Almighty grant me and those I love a peaceful night and a perfect end. Amen."  I love that!

The other discipline has been harder.  It is the practice of silence.  I have chosen to spend my three daily prayer times out on my lovely new deck, and at the end of the prayers I am trying to sit in silence for several minutes and really see what is around me.  I try to really hear all the birds that are calling and the bugs that are buzzing.  I try to look at the lake and see if it is still (sometimes the reflections are just like glass) or choppy.  I try to listen to the wind rustling the birch leaves (they make a very distinct sound).  If you watch the CBS Sunday Morning show you know that they always end with a moment of nature.  I'm trying to emulate that as I look around.   

One morning I looked around carefully and found one lone pink flower bloomed a short distance away.  I would never have seen it if I had not been really paying attention, and I am certain that I am the only one here who did see it.  It made me think that God had put it there just for me.  

How many things does He put out there every day just for me that I am too busy to notice?



No comments:

Post a Comment