Saturday, April 7, 2012

Good Friday Prayers


On Good Friday I set up “Journey to the Cross” at our church.  Cindy Baird helped me with the set up, and I am so thankful for all that she did.  During the evening about 30 people came through the stations that depicted different aspects of the passion week of Christ.  Each one asked the participants to use their physical senses to try to put themselves there in the action.  For example, one of the stations had the scripture about Mary putting the box of expensive perfume on Jesus’ feet.  At that station you were to take a cotton ball and put a drop of scented oil on it, which you were to carry with you throughout the rest of the journey.  It was to remind you of the extravagance of Mary’s act and how we should love Christ extravagantly too.

Many of the stations had places to write responses and prayers.  I thought I would share some of those responses here.

Thank you, God, for doing all of this for me.  I could have been the one to betray you, and yet you love me.

Dear Lord, I know what it feels like to be betrayed.  I am so thankful that you know exactly how this feels…You know.  Thank you also for Your example of restoring Peter.  It gives me hope.

Dear Jesus, thank You for saving me.  Help me to be passionate for you as Mary was.  Thank you for your unconditional love for me.

Help my worship of God to spread like perfume.

Dear Jesus, thank you for saving me.  Help me to know how to express that love like Mary did.

Dear Jesus, it is my desire to give to you extravagantly, passionately.  May my life be poured out like Mary’s perfume.  May its aroma be a blessing rising to you…for you are WORTHY.

Father, it was your love for me that bound you, not this rope.  Forgive me for the pain I caused you.  Help me to never take your love for granted.

Lord, I am so sorry.  I trade a wonderful relationship with you for far too many things that really mean nothing.

Lord, material things cloud my vision every day.  They are here, right now—right in my face.  I struggle all the time with releasing these things.  I want less and less of them and more and more of You.

Father, desire for material wealth is nothing but a distraction.  But I fight this distraction every day.  Help me find riches in You.

Jesus, You went through so much pain so that our lives could be saved.   I thank you so much, Lord.  No words could ever be said to thank you enough.

Jesus, I want to be more and more like you…grow in your love, peace and faith.  Thank you for forgiving me.  And let your joy overflow my heart this Easter!

Father, change me.  Give me your desires.  Make my will yours.  Give this dead body life.  Give me a powerful, bold, strong, yet kind and gentle spirit.  Make me more like you!

I am yours.  Show me what to do.

Please help me to let go and allow you to forgive and change me.  Thank you for loving me.  Help me to feel that love in times of trial.  Help me to surrender myself so that your will be done not mine.

Lord, change me.  Forgive me for doubting, for blocking you out with the world.  Help me to leave everything to follow you just as the disciples did.  Let your will be done in my life.   THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment