Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bethlehemian Rhapsody



Just as I said when I sang Sunday, God continues to speak to me through our Wednesday night Kids Club lessons. Tonight was David and Goliath. I shared this music video with the kids. It gives the ones who know the story well a fresh look at what it says. Those of you who are old enough will recognize this parody of Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. I love how they've taken a really unique song and given it such an inspiring message. It makes me smile.

My favorite part of this Bible story is what David says as he faces off against this giant:

“You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hands, and I’ll strike you down and cut off your head. This very day I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds and the wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.” (1 Samuel 17:45-47)

Now you parents out there, if you want to give your kids something to fight temptation with, have them memorize this passage. Teach them to turn this into a prayer about whatever they're dealing with:

"Dear Lord, the devil is coming against me with (anger, hate, peer pressure, fear... whatever you're dealing with), but I come against him in your name, the name of the LORD almighty, my God. Deliver me from the devil's hand... so that the world will know that there is a God. All those around will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is yours, and you will help me and be with me."

Talk about the Sword of the Spirit!!

*You can find links to the lyrics if you really want to know all the words. They're very clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment