Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Dear Sister



Today was a sad day for me. My dear sister Penny and her husband David left for Ukraine this afternoon. She told me she was sad but that once she got on her way she would be fine. And she said that being sad didn't mean she didn't want to go. She was looking forward to being back to the home she has made there in Kharkov. Finally, she told me that she thought it would be easier to leave her boys once they were both married. It wasn't true.

Penny has been such an inspiration to me. She takes the hardships of life in Ukraine with much ease and grace. I know it hasn't always been as easy as she makes it look, but God has been gracious to her in giving her what we might think of as a "pioneer spirit." She has been able to go to the "frontier" and make a beautiful life. I have had only peeks at the sacrifices she has made throughout the years she has been in Ukraine. I feel that I don't recognize them or acknowledge them enough.

When I was able to go to visit her five years ago I got a small taste of her life there. We ended up in several circumstances that I found very challenging. I told her that being there was really hard for me in so many ways. I tell you again... she made it look easy.

She has been my dear sister and friend for all these years. I have been so thankful that she has been here for me in some of the most difficult days of my life. She has been a strong arm to lean on.

God bless you, Penny. I love you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment