Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Post #3 from the Great White North

I've not had time to write because there has been much to do. I have been working diligently on my part--The Amazing Race setup. Each day I have gotten all the materials together for each leg of the race, which has consumed a lot of time. It takes a lot of thinking, planning and organizing to put this whole thing together. So yesterday and today, the kids who are here have been running legs of the race as I set them up. It has allowed me to work through some of the kinks I find, change things that don't work, and generally see if they think it's fun. It's been pretty successful so far. I probably will be sending them more things even after I leave as I think about how it will work for them. It has been hard for me to think about designing the race and then not being here to coordinate everything. It's hard to write all the stuff down that others need to know. It's like having to leave plans for a substitute teacher :(

I have had some other jobs too. There is always something to cook or clean. I help in the kitchen every day, however I can, but it is not my natural habitat. Today I cleaned up and stocked the tuck room. In Canada, snack is called tuck. So they have a room with snack and souvenirs that campers can buy. Last week I helped sort and stock sweatshirts that had arrived for this room.


We all eat our meals together, and in the process we have become like family. Mealtimes are leisurely with lots of good conversation and good-natured kidding. Each day the number ebbs and flows from meal to meal. Tonight we will be having a big fish fry courtesy of Phil and the other fishermen. Yesterday and today he has taken two of the other men out on his boat. They said it is the best fishing time they have ever had.

The weather here has been pleasant, although we have had several rainy days. Phil says they are better for fishing, so he hasn't minded. He has the gear for the wet weather too. The temperature has been in the 60s for highs and the 40s for lows. It has been chilly, but that hasn't stopped the kids here from swimming in the lake. I haven't even put a big toe in. And on the coldest mornings we've been greeted with a blazing fire in the lodge.



It is a good place to be. It has been a time of making new relationships and helping in an important work. It has been a time of refreshing and renewing too. I am so glad we are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment