Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Whirlwind

Even though we only had one student in class Sunday, we still had a great lesson and meaningful discussion. Ashley has been so faithful to come and if she were always our only student, Phil and I would still be happy to be ministering in her life. She even lets me know when she isn't coming. What a sweetie!

Our lesson this week was our last Rob Bell DVD called Whirlwind. In it, Rob addresses the age-old question, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" Rob summarizes the book of Job and all the bad things that come Job's way. After debating what is happening with his friends, Job hears from God. The better part of the movie is Rob quoting the questions God has for Job. It is such a dramatic presentation and so inspiring. It made me understand just a little of what Job might of actually felt like as God spoke. And in the end, it reminded me of how little I know and understand of God and His ways, and how arrogant I can be in questioning Him. I am thankful that I serve a God who is not upset with my questions and struggles, but He is listening and using these troubles to grow me up in Him.

I just attended my nephew's graduation and his commissioning as a lieutenant into the army. Andy had been the battalion commander second semester and was responsible for the entire group. His commander spoke about assigning tasks to Andy and the battalion. He said that often he would have to change things that were being planned 24 hours before the event, or 12 hours before the event, or whatever. I think he would do this on purpose at times just so they would have to learn to deal with making these changes and being flexible and adaptable. He said he would call up Andy and tell him about the changes, and then Andy would reply, "Yes, sir." And then he would get it done.

I would say that God is often working the same way in our lives when troubles come, when plans don't work out. What is my response.? Do I say, "Yes, sir," and go ahead and get things done? I hope I'm learning to do that. I think it would please my Commander.

No comments:

Post a Comment