Saturday, April 24, 2010

Reminiscing Part 1




This is the house I grew up in. I lived here until I was about 11. We lived in one side of a double, and my grandpa and two of my aunts lived in the other side. In the double next door lived my uncle and his family. I have lots of good memories of growing up here. Even though our house and yard were small, I never thought it was a problem. And even though we lived right in the city, I never felt like I wasn't safe. We roamed the neighborhood, walked to school, and had a great life.

Kids in the city play different games than kids in the country. When we were out in the evening we often watched for the street light to come on. We would shout out, "Pam Brim, 1239 S. Shepherd St., First one to see the street light come on!" Why did we do this? I don't know. We also played a game I'm sure we made up called Movie Stars.

This was the park we played at. The playground was new when I was a kid. Lots of tall swings that would swing really high, and of course, we would jump out of them. It also had a huge slide shaped like a rocket. Obviously, it has been redone since I was a child.














I have great memories of this hill. In the spring and summer we would often just lie down and roll down it like a log. In the winter it was the perfect hill for sledding. Great speed and nothing in the way at the bottom, and not too high so it was not a problem to climb back up. I couldn't believe it when I saw the sign. If you can't sled here, where can you sled? It's crazy!

Enough of this for today. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment